Global Sustainability Curriculum – Post-Program Activities
Activity 3: The Circular Economy
How It Works
Here you will learn about the concept of a circular economy and apply this environmental approach to products you regularly use in you own life. This will serve as a sort of “The Story of Stuff pt. 3”, which will show an alternative to the linear “produce, use, then throw away” economy that dominates our economy today.
How You Do It
- Watch the videos Re-thinking Progress: The Circular Economy and What is the circular economy?
- Think about how this way of thinking can help both the environment and the economy.
- Download and print the Circular Economy Worksheet.
- Identify something that you throw away on a regular basis. Is there a way to avoid throwing that product away, even avoid recycling it, when you’re done using it? What kind of other products are made from your waste’s materials?
Take Away Points
- As mentioned before in the “Out of the Box” activity, sustainable actions have the ability to both save money and be better for the environment.
- Chance is, the solution you created with the Circular Economy worksheet is either being done now or currently being worked on. Try to find a company that is doing something similar to your created Circular Economy solution.